Discussion Topics« Return to Microfinance
Kiva - Micro-loans -http://www.kiva.org/
Kiva is a great charitable organisation set up to link microfinancing and the internet allowing anyone from all over the world to actively invest in a entreprenuer across the Globe. They have always been a great inspiration for me. http://www.kiva.org/
''Kiva's mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty.
Kiva empowers individuals to lend to an entrepreneur across the globe. By combining microfinance with the internet, Kiva is creating a global community of people connected through lending.
Pendo Luisi, 27 years old, borrowed $175 to open a cafe in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Kiva was born of the following beliefs:
* People are by nature generous, and will help others if given the opportunity to do so in a transparent, accountable way.
* The poor are highly motivated and can be very successful when given an opportunity.
* By connecting people we can create relationships beyond financial transactions, and build a global community expressing support and encouragement of one another.
* Dignity: Kiva encourages partnership relationships as opposed to benefactor relationships. Partnership relationships are characterized by mutual dignity and respect.
* Accountability: Loans encourage more accountability than donations where repayment is not expected.
* Transparency: The Kiva website is an open platform where communication can flow freely around the world.
As of November 2009, Kiva has facilitated over $100 million in loans''
Above written and sourced by Kiva at (http://www.kiva.org/about)
Also a great video to understand:
I hopE we can set up a team of KIVA lenders! Team Name; Evoke Forever - Global Evokers
Edited Sat, Apr 3, 2010 1:24 AM
Replies to this Topic
This seems rather brilliant. I suppose I'll have to look at the site to determine their methodology as far as ensuring transparency and accountability. Unless, that is, someone knows more about it and has already done said research. Anyone?
There is already am EVOKE team. Why not just join it? Kiva is not going anywhere on May 12th. E4E is going to be a natural meeting place to fall back to.
@Micheal I am still looking into it completely, but transparency quite there as therefore they've kept as charitable foundation. Think room for growth in its work, but doing best it can with what it has at the moment and doing great things. See: http://www.urgentevoke.com/profiles/blogs/kiva-answers-to-the-dragon Agent Floatstone asked and sent direct e-mail to Kiva.
@Alberto, I see your point and been thinking about it all day. I agree, but as long original creators on board will be 'our' the members ownership and credit and not World Bank, not meaning just us on this site, but original creators and members join network here and work under collaboration. If they have already agreed something with World Bank, we'll have a problem. I hope I can get them on board as completely see your point, plus will be great as we'll have more collaboration and larger member base independently run and as we voluntary, really believe we creating further collaborations or networks in future with already well run organisations as voluntary organisation but really working for change and run by all people, from all origins, backgrounds, voluntary we got something big to help influence.
Edited Tue, Apr 6, 2010 1:05 AM